This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Devotion this morning: "Plan B"

This summer, I have gotten WAY off track and out of my morning routine of praying and reading my daily devotions & scripture. School starts back, for the girls and I, in just over a week (YIKES!) and I have GOT to get back into a routine before then!

So.... I am happy to say that I have done well this morning and God is pleased with me because I kept my morning "coffee date" with Him and did not get side-tracked into something else.

I read a wonderful devotion this morning in my devotional book entitled:
Babes with a Beatitude - Devotions for Smart, Savvy Women of Faith
- by, Linda P. Kozar & Dannelle Woody.

Here is the devotion, as written in the book with MY thoughts written in blue ---- 

Plan B

Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. (I love that part!)
Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.
Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute
their prejudices. Then, they'll be won over to God's side
and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.
-- 1 Peter 2:11-12 MSG

When the moving men showed up an hour late, I was more than ready. Stacks of boxes were labeled and organized --- even color coded to match the rooms they were supposed to be deposited in when they reached the new home. And, of course, the labels matched the spreadsheet on my clipboard. I'd planned things down to the last detail. (This was me, 12 years ago, when we moved down here from the Atlanta area! My boxes weren't "color coded", but they were labeled with a number that corresponded with my list of boxes and their contents! Like, the author... I had planned this move right down to the very last detail!)

But, to my horror, the three men began picking up boxes randomly and stacking them on dollies. I tried to stop them, to explain the system, but the only one who spoke English was me. My best-laid plan was suddenly kaput! I wanted to cry, but I cried out to God instead. Lord, all my work was for nothing. This is so frustrating. Please help me!

Our attitude in times like this tells our new neighbors and our children a lot about our spiritual walk. I love how The Message interprets this verse. "Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul."

BEATITUDE CHECK: It's good to plan and prepare for things, but we must be flexible enough to know that life's little events don't always go according to our plans. Don't give in to times like this and let frustration show in ungodly ways. Your example of acceptance and kindness will go a long way to show others what Jesus ' personality is like. (I am doing MUCH better with being "flexible". I used to not be. I used to get VERY "out-of-sorts" when things didn't go just how I had them planned in my pretty, little head. But, I have learned to be much better about it and to "go-with-the-flow" as much as I can.)

I am so thankful that God is the God of second chances, and third, fourth, fifth, sixth......... well, you get the picture!

*** ON A SIDE NOTE ---- I feel better today. Your prayers must be working! Thank you! ~ I am still anxious to hear the results of my ultrasound, but I feel much better about it all and I am a lot less worried! I am feeling God's comfort and peace, which is the way that it should be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...