This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Friday, April 1, 2011

If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away

My favorite type of music is COUNTRY. I have many favorite artists and groups that I enjoy listening to. There are only a few reasons why I might change the channel and listen to something else. One of those reasons might be when a new artist comes on the radio. I will listen for a moment and see if I like their song or not... and if I don't, then the channel gets changed!

Yesterday, as I was driving home from THE LIBRARY .... (see yesterday's post)... I heard a song that I had never heard before by an artist that I was not familiar with. I liked his voice and as I listened to the song... I LOVED the lyrics, even more!!

The artist's name was Justin Moore and the title of the song was If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to put video's or music onto my blog... but, here are the lyrics to the song.

Every day I drive to work across Flint River bridge
A hundred yards from the spot where me and grandpa fished
There's a piece of his old fruit stand on the side of Sawmill Road
He'd be there peelin' peaches if it was twenty years ago
And what I wouldn't give
To ride around in that old truck with him

If heaven wasn't so far away
I'd pack up the kids and go for the day
Introduce them to their grandpa
Watch 'em laugh at the way he talks
I'd find my long lost cousin John
The one we left back in Vietnam
Show him a picture of his daughter now
She's a doctor and he'd be proud
Then tell him we'd be back in a couple of days
In the rear view mirror we'd all watch 'em wave
Yeah, and losing them wouldn't be so hard to take
If heaven wasn't so far away

I'd hug all three of those girls we lost from the class of '99
And I'd find my bird dog Bo and take him huntin' one more time
I'd ask Hank why he took those pills back in '53
And Janis to sing the second verse of "Me and Bobby McGee"
Sit on a cloud and visit for a while
It'd do me good just to see them smile

If heaven wasn't so far away
I'd pack up the kids and go for the day
Introduce them to their grandpa
Watch 'em laugh at the way he talks
I'd find my long lost cousin John
The one we left back in Vietnam
Show him a picture of his daughter now
She's a doctor and he'd be proud
Then tell him we'd be back in a couple of days
In the rear view mirror we'd all watch 'em wave
Yeah, and losing them wouldn't be so hard to take
If heaven wasn't so far
If heaven wasn't so far
If heaven wasn't so far away
So far away
So far away

When I heard the line... "I'd pick up the kids and go for the day...introduce them to their grandpa"... I LOST IT!! Tears filled my eyes and all I could think about is how I wish my girls could know my Daddy... their Grandpa. Yes.... I wish Heaven weren't so far away.

Sadly, my Daddy died of a sudden heart attack when I was only 18 years old. I miss him so VERY much! It took me a long time to understand "why" God took him --- It was the only way that God could "heal" him.

That is the prayer that I pray for my mom, now. I pray for God to "heal" her. When she is "well", again... then, she will be happy. Right now, she is not.
I didn't mean for this post to be such a "downer", but I really wanted to share this song with you. I know that many of us wish that we could visit Heaven. Wouldn't that be a wonderful way to spend the day! **Smile**

14 comments:

  1. Sweet and touching post Becky! I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Becky so sweet! I miss my Dad who died about 5 years ago so much. I wore one of his flannel shirts yesterday just to feel close to him. I will cry when I hear this song I'm sure. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linda. ((HUGS)) to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, that was a lovely post, and so touching about your dad. If feel the same; my dad passed away when I was 32, so actually 32 years now that he's been gone, but I still miss him so much. You were so very young when you lost your dad, and it must have affected you very much. I hope that your mum will be 'healed' before too long. I went through the same thing with my mum, and it really was such a relief when she was taken, although, of course, as an only child, I missed her so very much. Oh dear, I must try to think of brighter things dear Becky. Enjoy your weekend, and sending you big hugs from across the pond!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg love this song and i'm liking the artist i hope he releases more songs soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beck, I heard that song last week and thought, as you did, that it was one of the most touching, beautiful songs I have heard.
    Still being raw in my grief, I substituted my mother. Of course she knew all of her grands, but we still miss her so terribly. She will have two new great great grands this year. A girl in March and a boy in October.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This ~ Thank you. Yes, I know that I will feel all kinds of emotions when my mother finally goes to be with my dad. I have already cried just thinking about what it will be like when both of my parents are gone. But, in a way, my mom really IS already gone. Thank you for the hug!! :)

    Becca ~ This song is apparently on his newest album, which is his second one. My daughter's B/F has his first one. He is "new" to me and like you, I like him. ;)

    Gramma ~ Yes. I am sure that you did think of your mother. I hope the pain is getting easier for you. How exciting that you have two new little ones on the way this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you like me to tell you step by step how to put music on your blog? I have this song on my blog too. Just wondering. BTW...I'm from GA too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sandy ~ I think I'll pass on the instructions for now. But, THANK YOU! ~ Glad to know another fellow Georgian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe it's a Becky thing...I heard that song for the first time driving home for lunch today and "lost it" right where you did! Cried through the rest of the song. Luckily I wasn't on any major roads at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Becky! ~ Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I'm glad that you weren't on a busy road, too! ~ Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was in the class of 98 and knew all 3 of the girls in the class of 99 as well as the others that were involved. I lost it when i heard this song. It was a very touching song that hit right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow!! Thank you for sharing that, Anonymous. ~ Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...