This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

To Pay or Not to Pay

You may not know this, but I love going to the library and checking out books! I also love to buy them, but if I can "check them out" rather than buy them, I will.

The county that I live in is mostly rural and it is a fairly big county. The "County Seat" (or main town) is in the center of the county. This is where the very small, county library is. I live in the southwest part of the county, almost into the city of Columbus, GA... which is in the neighboring county.

We have lived here for 12 years and we have always used the library in Columbus because it is more convenient and because it is bigger and has a much better selection of books, CD's, DVD's, etc.

I had heard that the Columbus Library System had started CHARGING out of county residents to use "their" library, but I didn't believe it. Today.... I found out that it is TRUE!

They are charging out of county residents $35.00 per year for a library card!!! YIKES!!

I was sad to find this out. I didn't have the CASH ---- Yes. They will only accept CASH!--- to pay it today. Plus... I need to think about this and decide if it is worth it or not.

Of course, I am sure that it will save me money in the long run, but...... will it, really???

Also, we could buy ONE card and the girls and I could share it, I suppose.

I don't know. I'll have to give this some more thought. I am just quite disappointed that I now have to PAY to use the library!

Yes.... I could use our own county library, but it really is not at all convenient and it is VERY small!

Decisions, decisions.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! I know that all government facilities are in jeopardy as our taxes are having to be stretched. I hate that for you. $35 seems like a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda ~ It's so sad, and yes... I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad Becky. I really feel that Libraries in particular should be free. Surely they encourage people to read and that must be a good thing. It's the same all over now, it seems. Governments are in debt and are trying to raise money in whatever way they can, which of course I can understand, but it's still not nice. I must admit that I get all my books on Amazon! Hope you're feeling fully well again now and hope you have a lovely weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi This ~ Yes. I guess you are right. The Government is in debt and the libraries must be having to make money somehow in order to stay open. It certainly is sad. ~ I am feeling much better. I have still not regained all of my strength back, tho. I am tired all of the time. Thank you for asking! ((HUGS)) to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $35.00 seems kind of outrageous. I could see $10 or $15 a year, but it's not quite fair just to charge out of county residents and not the locals. I guess the locals tax dollars go toward library funding, but how about $5.00 per year for them and $10.00 for out of county. I could understand that. Hope you're doing well Becky.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...