This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Back to Reality

Our weekend of camping, was fun! We left on Thursday morning to enjoy a couple of days away at F.D. Roosevelt State Park. It is only 30 minutes away, but it feels like 100! We packed up and came home on Sunday morning, because I had to be at a luncheon at church.

Friday morning, before we left, I turned on my computer and the first thing that I saw on my MSN home page, was the news about the horrific earthquake and tsunami that had hit Japan. I shared the news with my family as they began to wake up, and as David and I packed the truck and camper with what we would need for our camping trip, I was glued to the news on TV in order to learn more about what had happened. By the time we were to leave, I didn't want to. I knew that once we left, I would be cut off from any internet and TV contact. -- No. I don't have a "smart phone". In times like this, I wish I did!

The wind was pretty strong on Friday, which made it feel a lot colder. I realized real quick, that I didn't bring enough warm clothes! Oops! We brought our bikes and went for a two mile bike ride thru the park with our friends. When we returned, my fingers were numb and my lips and face were chapped! The bike ride as great, tho! We mostly hung out around the campsite waiting for more friends to arrive.

The campfire felt good that night. It kept my front side warm, but until I went to bed... I didn't realize that my "back side" was like an ice cube!! Therefore, when I crawled into my bed, I could not go to sleep because I could not get warm!! It took me a while to go to sleep. The temps that night were in the mid 30's. Even with the heater on in the camper.. I was STILL COLD!

Saturday was a better day because it was much warmer!! No more wind and the sun was shining beautifully! David cooked us a wonderful breakfast and then later, we went over to Callaway Gardens for a bike ride. We rode for over 6 miles on the great bike trail that they have there!

By the time we got back to the campground, more friends had arrived to hang out with us and celebrate my friend's birthday which is this week. It was fun to sit around and chat with everyone, and of course.... eat some yummy food!

One of the couples that came to camp with us, I had never met before. They were "friends-of-friends", if you know what I mean. As we were talking to these new friends, I learned that he used to live in Atlanta -- which is where I grew up. I asked him where he used to live in Atlanta. He said.. "Norcross". I said, "Oh really! That's where we lived when we were first married." Then, he said that he worked for an insurance company up there. I also used to work for one, so I asked him which one and I was surprised to learn that he and I worked for the same one for almost the exact same time period!! (1983-1986) It was a very small company, so to meet someone that worked there, was really neat! We did not know each other because we worked opposite schedules, but it was quite interesting to be able to talk to someone that had the same connection to something that I did!

I am sorry that I do not have any photos to share. The opportunity didn't really arise. We had a fun time and I wasn't ready to come home.

Today, I am sitting here watching the news and learning more about the terrible disaster in Japan. My heart breaks for them. I will have to break myself away from the TV so that I can get some chores done, tho.

Blessings to you all and I will do my best to get caught up on my blog reading as soon as I can!

7 comments:

  1. That was a coincidence, about that man and you working in the same Company. They say it's a small world!! So glad you had a lovely weekend. How nice not to have to travel too far as well. Sorry it was a bit chilly on one of the days. We have had some lovely sunshine over here, but still a very chilly wind. :( I can't wait to be able to go out without a coat on. Yes, the events in Japan have been horrendous. Whole villages and towns just wiped out. Utter devastation and, as you say, your heart goes out to all those affected by it. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip! The horror in Japan just keeps on growing. I am so sad by all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A camper I am not!! But I would have been happy to meet you at Callaway and bike ride with you. Beautiful place to ride. It is a bit early for the azaleas though, isn't it?
    My daughter was standing in line in the airport in Anchorage to catch a connection to her village. The man in front of her had a back pack on with the name Rosebrook on it. She asked him if that was his last name and he said it was. Turns out he is Stan's first cousin. They have not seen each other in over 60 years. Family dynamics being such as they were. Any way, he teaches school in a village just upriver a little ways from where she lives. It is amazing how small our world really is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful trip thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, to you all! ~ Yes. We had fun. And yes... it is fun when you realize just how small this world is!

    Evy ~ You sound like you have been to Callaway Gardens. If so.... you were very close to where I live! The azaelea's will be blooming by late April, I believe! I can't wait to go back and take pics of them again, like last year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had fun! And happy to have back with us on line :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...