This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Book for My Mom

A couple of weeks ago, a friend told me about this wonderful book ----


In case you can't read the subtitle.... it says...
"A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back"

As soon as my friend told me about the book, I knew that I must buy it for my mom to read.

For those of you that may not know... my mom is in a nursing home as a result of a stroke that she had in November of 2005. She bounced back pretty good from the stroke, but over the past few years... has been declining in health and now suffers from Congestive Heart Failure. I know that my mom does not have much time left with us, here. Her heart is getting more and more weak. I have accepted this fact and I am prepared.... or at least I "think" I am prepared... for her to leave us and pass on to live forever in eternity with Jesus in Heaven.

For the past month or so, my mom and I have been having some deep conversations regarding how she feels about death and her wishes for when the time comes. Through these conversations, I have sensed that she has many fears and questions about it all.

I have tried, the best that I can, to comfort her, answer her questions, and ease her fears. But, of course, I do not have all the answers. No one here on earth, does. All that we know is what we read in the Bible, and from books such as the one above.

So, when my friend told me about this book... I knew that I must get it!

My mom's birthday is Sunday. I would like to give her the book as one of her presents. Fortunately, she does like to read. I just pray that she will enjoy this book and it will ease her mind and her fears.

I have started reading it myself and I am hoping to finish it before Sunday.

Let me share a little bit of what the back of the book says --

Colton, not yet four years old, told his parents he left his body during the surgery-and authenticated that claim by describing exactly what his parents were doing in another part of the hospital while he was being operated on. He talked of visiting heaven and relayed stories told to him by people he met there whom he had never met in his life, sharing events that happened even before he was born. He also astonished his parents with descriptions and obscure details about heaven that matched the Bible exactly, though he had not yet learned to read.

With disarming innocence and the plainspoken boldness of a child, Colton tells of meeting long-departed family members. He describes Jesus, the angels, how "really, really big" God is, and how much God loves us. Retold by his father, but using Colton's uniquely simple words, Heaven Is for Real offers a glimpse of the world that awaits us, where as Coltons says, "Nobody is old and nobody wears glasses."

I can't wait to finish reading this book!! And....So far, it is easing "my" fears about dying and going to Heaven. I sure hope it helps my mom, as well.

6 comments:

  1. sounds like a good book will have to read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky I would love to get this book. It sounds wonderful. I hope it eases your Mothers mind. My Mom also had congestive heart failure. So far she is doing OK but I know the day will come. Bless you and enjoy each moment you have with her. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book sounds awesome, and little Colton's experience quite extraordinary. I might even try to get a copy myself on Amazon. I do hope that it will ease your mum's fears a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you know I was thinking of my mom as I read this. You are so blessed that your mom will talk about it with you. We would try to talk to ours and she would just clam up. I wish I had know of that book for her, better buy it for me:)
    Prayers for you as you care for your dear mother in her last days, weeks, months, years. And for you, I thought I was prepared too.
    God's strength to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure it will provide some answers, it is touching to read about how much you care for her. Cheerish these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda ~ We'll have to compare notes on our moms and the CHF. Thank you for your sweet words. :)

    This ~ Thank you!

    Gramma ~ I was thinking of you as I wrote this post and was hoping that you would read it. Yes. I am thankful that she is willing to talk about it with me. I think it helps me, as well. Yes... I think you should read the book. It might give you some comfort, as well. Thank you for the well wishes. ((HUGS)) to you!

    Claudia ~ Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...