This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Friday, November 5, 2010

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 5

Today, I am thankful for my mom's Nursing Home and the staff that is there, day after day, taking care of her.

I love my mom, but I knew that taking care of her myself after her stroke (almost exactly 5 years ago!), was beyond my limits of what I know I could do.

I struggled with this for a couple of years. I felt very guilty that I wasn't taking on the HUGE responsibility of caring for her myself, but I knew in my heart that it was something that I couldn't possibly do. Still, the guilt remained.

After a couple of different nursing homes that just didn't "feel right", God blessed us with the perfect one.

She is now in one that is privately owned and operated (unlike most that are ran by the state). They take care of her every need in every way possible.

One thing that I especially love, is that the residents get to make lists for Santa at Christmas time. They can ask for anything that they want. Then, on Christmas Eve.... Santa comes and brings them their gifts! Last year, my girls and I just happened to be there when Santa arrived and it was such a delight to see the residents see Santa and receive their gifts!

My mom had asked for new shoes and a necklace with a diamond cross pendant. I really didn't think she would get these gifts, but SHE DID! She also got a few other small items. I was in awe of the generosity that was showed to these 30+ residents.

It took a while, but the guilt that I used to feel is finally gone. I know that my mom is in the right place and that she is well taken care of.

Thank you, Lord, for Phenix City Health Care!


3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that your mum is in such a lovely nursing home. Having experienced this when my mum was alive, I know just what you mean about the guilt feeling, especially being an only child. My mum also had a series of strokes, and I just knew that I wouldn't be able to physically cope with her at home. Your mum's nursing home is certainly something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes. Being an only child makes it even more difficult (I think). That's why knowing that my mom has her nursing home "family", makes me feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky! Your mom looks happy and comfortable in her home. It's possible that she didn't want to be a burden to you and your family. And she is among kind people and with those that she may have things in common with. And ok-the Maltese is too much! We rescued a little female maltese a few years ago and got to enjoy and love her for two years. She was estimated to be about 11 years old at that time and was already deaf and had cataracts. She eventually went blind and then just went downhill from there. My poor husband loved that dog dearly and almost a year later still worries that he didn't do the best he could. He took care of her night and day. Those little dogs are so intelligent. Even blind, she knew when and where my husband was-she would cry for him. She looked just like your daily puppy. Hope you've had a good week-Susan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...