This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Life Changes Quickly

Once again, that "roller coaster" called LIFE has taken a huge dip down again for me.

My mother was admitted to the hospital on Friday because of difficulties in breathing.

About a year and half ago, she was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure and was in the hospital for about a week. Since then, her doctor has managed to keep it under control with medications & oxygen 24/7.

Over the past few weeks, I knew that she wasn't feeling well... but, I also know that she has so many health issues, that it could have been any number of things causing her to feel bad. I didn't really worry about her because I felt that she was in great care at her nursing home.

Friday, I got the "always dreaded" phone call from the nursing home that they were sending her by ambulance to the emergency room. This, of course, was NOT a good day for me to spend at the hospital! (What day is??) David and I were in the middle of shampooing our carpets.

You may think that I am a terrible daughter, but I decided that I would wait and see how serious her condition was before I went rushing down there to sit ALL DAY in the emergency room. I knew that she was in good hands. I did call our pastor to let him know, so that he would be alerted.

Later in the day, she was admitted to the hospital and I learned that they were treating her for the Congestive Heart Failure, once again. Chest x-rays showed fluid on her lungs.

I talked to her on the phone and she sounded good, which made me feel better. I decided to wait until the morning to go visit her.

The next morning (Saturday), she was taken for another x-ray and an EKG. Not long after she came back to her room, the cardiologist that read her x-ray and EKG, came in and talked to us about what he saw.

Apparently, her heart has weakened over the past couple of years to only 40-45%. This is not good, but it explains a lot.

He asked her a lot of questions about her stroke that she had 5 years ago and also about her symptoms with the CHF. He said that for now, they are just going to continue to drain the fluid and to treat her with medications, but he would like to know what is "causing" the CHF.

Yesterday, (Sunday), when I talked to the doctor... he suggested that they do a Heart Catherization on her so that they can determine what the cause is. So... that will most likely happen this afternoon (Monday).

Another problem that we are facing is that, because my mom is on Medicaid, the nursing home can only hold her bed there for so many days. The "number" of days, at the moment, is unclear to me. THAT is my #1 priority this morning ... to find out how many days she has left before she loses her bed.

I am trying VERY hard not to worry about this and to remember that God is in control of the situation and He knows what she needs. AND.... He will take care of her needs and mine.

I have to remember that.... it is not MY will, but HIS.

It's about what HE wants, not what I WANT.

I don't know how many of you are Christian, but if you are.... I would love it if you would please add my mother (and myself) to your prayers.

My prayer for my mom is "healing", whether it be on this earth or in God's Kingdom in Heaven.

Thank you.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Becky, I am so sorry to hear that your mum is pretty poorly at the moment and, of course, I will pray for her, and you and your family. I agree with you that the healing could be in heaven, but as you say, it is whatever God decides is for the best. That is such a nuisance about the bed in the nursing home though. As you say, that will have to be your first priority at this time, because it would be awful to lose mum's bed if she is well enough to come out again. What a worry! Thinking of you and sending a big hug. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so VERY much! Your kind words, thoughts and prayers mean so very much to me. Yes. I am prepared for whatever God decides. (At least I think I am) ~ Thank you for the hug, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all can i just say i am so sorry to hear about this dip, and your mother is in my prayers too. You must be going through alot right now and knowing you can smile through it is truly admirable. A wonderful person and blog!
    Just wanted to pop by and say much much i adore your blog. The layout, and natural,honest style you write with is so refreshing. I look forward to your next post!

    p.s. I'm pretty new to this whole blogging thing and was wondering if you possibly had a spare minute to look at my blog? Love or detest it- any comment from a blogging pro like you would be really appreciated! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say how sorry I was about your Mom. We went through many of the same battles with my Dad who had CHP. It is definitely a roller-coaster ride. Just try to stay strong and be try to be there for your Mom. She's scared too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roma! How nice to "meet" you! :) I appreciate your sweet and kind words. And yes... I will most definitely take a peek at your blog! :)

    Thank you, Sandy ~ Yes, a roller-coaster ride, it is! Thank you for your sweet words and the support. It means a lot.

    Thankfully, my mom is doing better. She had a heart catherization done this afternoon and it showed no blockages! YAY! She "should" be released tomorrow, praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your mother-but prayers have been answered! I hope she continues to heal and you are able to breathe easier. You and yours are in my prayers Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, it is so hard to watch our parent fail. I understand your prayer completely. I pray constantly for my own mother to be at peace. I know her time is drawing near and I only want her to make the transition without fear.
    I will include your dear mother in my prayers also. You as well. Making decisions regarding her health are very difficult ones to make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Susan. ~ Yes. My prayers, yesterday, WERE answered! God is so very good! Thank you for your continued prayers. ((HUGS))

    Evy ~ I know you know what I am going through. It isn't easy! Everything you said above, is true. Thank you so very much for your continued prayers. I continue to keep you and your mother in my thoughts and prayers, as well. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...