This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 4

Today, I am thankful for my two wonderful pastors. I am so grateful to have them in my life!

My family and I are members of a United Methodist Church in the Columbus, GA area. We found this church in May of 1998, as we were searching for land in which to build our new house.

We had just moved to the area in April and had been attending another United Methodist church, where we were not very happy.

I still remember walking through the doors of this small, white church and instantly falling in love with it! It reminded me so very much of our church that we left in Atlanta.

As we sat down in one of the beautiful wooden pews, a nice man sitting in the pew in front of us, introduced himself. He shared that he had two young daughters about the same age as ours. I was SO HAPPY to hear this, because I was concerned whether there were many children at this church, being that it was so small.

Then, as I was settling into my seat... I heard a beautiful voice to my left that said... "Welcome! I'm so glad that you are here!" I turned and saw a woman, dressed in a black robe, just as beautiful as the voice that spoke to me! I still remember being in shock because I had never seen a preacher that was a WOMAN!

Just after she greeted us, ANOTHER preacher approched us! This time, it was a man. He also had on a black robe. He greeted us as well and we learned that they were MARRIED!!!! He was the Pastor and she was the Associate Pastor. How awesome was that???? They were both so VERY sweet and I knew for sure that we had now found our new church home. -- His sermon wasn't bad, either! **Smile**

Just a few short months later, we transferred our membership to this wonderful church and it has been our "home away from home" ever since. We have watched it grow from about 300 members (with only about half that amount, actually attending!) to about 700 members (again... only about half actually attending).

Not only has the church membership grown, but the building has, as well. I wish I had photos to share with you of the growth, but I do not. That's something that I need! Here are two photos that I DO have. (You can't see the steeple, but it's there!)



Over the years, I have fallen more and more in love with my pastors. They have both been there for me through so many of the ups and downs of my life. I have also learned so much from each of them. They are a true blessing to our church and to our family!

I love you Howard and Lynn!

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story Becky! The Church looks really pretty, and it was just so good that you were made to feel so very welcome on that first visit all those years ago. I have been to many Churches and you just don't get that sort of welcome, which I think is so sad. It must be lovely to be a part of that fellowship and community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is. Especially since I don't have many in my own family, it is wonderful to have such a loving "church family". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've taken on quite the task to blog EVERYDAY! I'm so horrible at it, at least I get to it once a week for my cooking/project goals. I love how beautiful your church is. My husband is Methodist and I am Catholic, so we’ve seen some beautiful churches, but yours is by far in the top 5 of beautiful one’s we’ve seen. Wish you lots of luck for your next 20+!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your church is beautiful. Your pastors are fortunate to have such a faithful family as part of their church. What a cute couple! And your daily puppy "Pocket" is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather ~ Yes, you are right! It is quite a task to blog every day. But, I am hoping it will keep my focus on all the things that I have to be thankful for. It's so easy to forget at this time of year. ~ I really need to get some more photos of the growth that our church has seen, and also some pics of inside the chapel, which is absolutely beautiful. I'll try and do that soon and post them! :)

    Hi Susan ~ Thank you! Yes, they are a "cute" couple with personalities to match! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...