This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 23

Today, I am thankful that I am no longer a teenager, living with my mom. I know this is a weird thing to be thankful for, but after the conversation that I had with my mom today, it is something that has been strong on my mind, ever since.

Many of you know that my dad died when I was a young, eighteen years old. I thank God that David was in my life at the time, because my mom and I did not have a close relationship. The only place that I wanted to be was with him, so I didn't spend much time at home. This didn't help my relationship with my mom, of course.

David and I were married when I was 20. The two years in-between our marriage and my father's death, were a rough couple of years, to say the least. I look back now and realize that my mom really needed me to be there for her. But, at the time (and being so young)... I was only interested in "me" and what was going on in "my life".

Today.... I was talking to my mom about my daughter, Miranda, who is 19 years old (the age I was during those "rough" years that I had!). I was telling her that Miranda made it safely to Arizona, when my mom decided to bring up the subject of ME when I was that age!! And believe me, this is NOT a good subject for her and I to talk about (BAD memories!!), so I stopped her before she went any further and told her so. Believe it or not.... she then tried to talk to me about one of my old boyfriends that I dated BEFORE David!! She actually said...."I wonder what ever happened to him?" YIKES!!!! I cut her off on that subject, too!!!

When I went to go visit my mom at the nursing home today, I had no idea that I would be taken down a not-so-fun memory lane! I am thankful that my mom still has such a wonderful memory after having her stroke 5 years ago, but today..... she chose memories that I had no desire to remember.

Here's a couple of pictures of me at age 18 and David at age 20.




Sorry for the depressing post. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a more joyful one!

6 comments:

  1. Well Becky, that wasn't such a good visit to your mum then, was it? That was very young for you to lose your dad, and I'm sorry for that. I just think that you are so lucky, having found your real soul-mate in David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sweetie. ~ Yes, David and my girls are the reason my heart beats. I truly believe that David (along with my girls) was a gift from God, to me! ~ I'll get pics posted soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photoes. You haven't changed a bit!! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww... you are too kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thankful not to be a teenager tooooo haha. Love the photos.

    Sorry your visit with your mom didn't go so well. :( Don't let it get you down though. The past cannot be changed but thankfully we have the present and the future and it seems like you are working at having a relationship with your mom now. :) She should be thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words, Laura. Unfortunately, my relationship with her has had it's ups and downs throughout my life. These days, I never know whether it's going to be an UP day or a DOWN day! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...