This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day 11

Today, I am thankful for all of the Veteran's that have served (and are serving) to make this wonderful country that I live in, a safe place for my family and I.

When I think of "Veteran", I first think of my Daddy. He served on the aircraft carrier "The Boxer" during the Korean War. He duty was to handle the cables that stopped the planes as they landed on the ship.

I have some photos of my Daddy while he was in the Navy and some of him on the ship, but due to technical difficulties with my "temporary" computer (long story!!), I can not get them scanned into my computer at this time. But..... I did find these photos of his ship at this site -- www.navsource.org/archives


In the photo below, you can see the men that handle the cables, over to the right of the planes.
They were kind of down in a hole. You can also see a cable, stretched across and under this plane.


My Daddy served in the Navy and on this ship during the years of 1948-1949 (or '49-'50). I really wish that I could scan those pictures into my computer, but here is a photo of my Daddy that I DO have scanned into my computer! **Smile**

I love and miss you so very much, Daddy!!!


As we remember the Veteran's that have served our country over the many years, I can't help but think about a close friend of mine who's young son (age 20) is about to leave for Afghanistan in just a few short weeks! (before Christmas). He is a bit afraid and has even been having nightmares for months, just knowing that he is going.

If you don't mind... please say a prayer for my young friend, Chris and his family. I know that he and his family would appreciate that.

May God bless and protect all of our men and women that are serving our country today and in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Good post Becky - very true. We must remember those who have sacrificed their lives for us. I will certainly remember Chris in my prayers. I can imagine how frightened he must be. I always think it must be horrendous for the families left behind. Lovely photo of your dad, and nice that you have remembered him especially today too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your story and pictures. My dad served in the Army in WWII, but I don't have any pictures. I think my mom has some, because that's how they met-in India! And I hope to get some soon. I've read your posts everyday and have really enjoyed them. Have been pretty busy lately and am running behind on mine. Hope you're doing well. See Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ladies. I am thankful to have the photos that I have. I just wish that I still had my Daddy. He did not die in the war. He died when I was 18, of a heart attack. But, I have faith that I will see him again someday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...