This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rex Goliath

This is the second selection in my new hobby of learning about WINE.

Again, I chose this wine because of it's label. I have a love for roosters (...because of my grandmother. I'll have to blog about that sometime!), so this one caught my eye!



As I said before in my previous post, my favorite wine is White Zinfandel. But, because I like to be adventurous... I decided to try other types of white wines. This one is a CHARDONNAY.

I found this website on the bottle --- http://www.rexgoliath.com/. --- and here is what I learned about this particular wine...

HRM Rex Goliath California Chardonnay 2008

The Rex Goliath Chardonnay is fresh and lively with supple tropical fruit . . . a true expression of cool-coastal-climate Chardonnay. Abundant, ripe, tropical fruit flavors of pineapple and melon are coupled with well-integrated layers of creamy lemon curd and hints of vanilla.


I’ve added aromatic white varietals to provide layers of delicate floral notes coupled with bright citrus character. Round fruit and vibrant acidity are harmoniously balanced with the bold influence of French oak. The oak used for our wines is a proprietary blend of French oak, with varying degrees of toasting. This gives the Rex Goliath oak profile a distinct flavor, like no other wine on the planet!


To me, this is the ultimate food wine . . . it goes with everything from ahi tuna tartare, to Asian chicken salad, to good ol’ mac and cheese!


Cheers!
Marty Spate
Winemaker

This is what I found the most interesting about how the wine got it's name...

HISTORY

It is said that around the turn of the 20th century, traveling with a Texas circus, there lived a rooster named HRM (His Royal Majesty) Rex Goliath. A proud star of the circus, Rex was billed as the “World’s Largest Rooster,” weighing in at a “goliath” 47 pounds. Folks came from far and wide to behold the Giant, who proved to many he was no ordinary farm bird. Rex patiently sat at his circus roost, gazing fondly upon his many admirers, who traveled – some from across the state – to see him. A colorful poster, carefully painted with his visage, hung proudly above his throne.


In 2002, the Rex Goliath line of wines was born, with a colorful label replicating the one-of-a-kind vintage artwork from the circus banner that hung above Rex’s Roost (psst…the real vintage poster now hangs in all its glory, lording over the Rex Goliath headquarters in San Francisco!).


Our wines are a tribute to Rex's larger than life personality, with big, fruit-forward flavors that are sure to please. They capture classic California and express true varietal character. In essence, Rex is all about letting that robust California fruit express itself in an easy-to-drink, worry-free fashion. Enjoy!

Here's a photo of the poster in the above story --


I love stories, and what a great story this is! If you go to the website (above) there is information about the California vineyard and other wines that this vineyard offers.

My thoughts about this wine --- I didn't like it as well, at first. But, then... it grew on me and I really enjoyed it! It definitely gets a "Thumbs Up"!
Here is another photo of the back label.


I tried to "soak" the label off with hot water, but I failed to get it off. Oh well! Photo's will have to do as far as my collection of wine labels go. Here's a closer picture of the label.









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...