This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Friday, September 17, 2010

A to Z Blog Challenge ~ L

Today I get to write about one of my very favorite words.... LOVE! Just the word alone makes me feel all warm and cozy inside!
The word love has lots of meanings. I really like what Wikipedia has to say about it ---

Love is the emotion of strong affection and personal attachment.[1] In philosophical context, love is a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection. In religious context, love is not just a virtue, but the basis for all being ("God is love"[2]), and the foundation for all divine law (Golden Rule).


The word love can refer to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from generic pleasure ("I loved that meal") to intense interpersonal attraction ("I love my wife"). "Love" can also refer specifically to the passionate desire and intimacy of romantic love, to the sexual love of eros (cf. Greek words for love), to the emotional closeness of familial love, or to the platonic love that defines friendship,[3] to the profound oneness or devotion of religious love. [4] This diversity of uses and meanings, combined with the complexity of the feelings involved, makes love unusually difficult to consistently define, even compared to other emotional states.

For me... the greatest love of all is Agape Love. Wikipedia describes it like this ---

In the New Testament, agapē is charitable, selfless, altruistic, and unconditional. It is parental love, seen as creating goodness in the world; it is the way God is seen to love humanity, and it is seen as the kind of love that Christians aspire to have for one another.

I like the part about it being "selfless" and "unconditional". That's the kind of love that we should ALL have for one another!


The Apostle Paul glorified love as the most important virtue of all. Describing love in the famous poem in 1 Corinthians, he wrote, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres." (1 Cor. 13:4–7, NIV)
 
In my book.... these are DEFINITELY words to live by!
 
Even country music artist, Alan Jackson, wrote about love, and also quoted verse 13:13 of 1 Corinthians, in his song ..."Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning"... which he wrote after 9/11. ---
 
But I know Jesus and I talk to God
And I remember this from when I was young
Faith hope and love are some good things he gave us
And the greatest is love

Click HERE if you would like to see the video of Alan singing this song. ~ It's beautiful!


I have also always loved HEARTS. They make me smile inside, just like the word LOVE does!




Just the other day, I was at the post office getting some stamps. I noticed the poster on the wall displaying the latest LOVE stamp. I have always had a "thing" for stamps and the LOVE stamp has always been my favorite! This is the one that I saw posted on the wall ---


 
This is the LOVE stamp that I first fell in love with. It's from 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...