This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Monday, September 27, 2010

A to Z Blog Challenge ~ S

The word for today is STEPHEN, as in Stephen Minister.

Not sure what a Stephen Minister is or does?? Here is a quick explanation ---

Stephen Ministers are members of a church who are recruited, selected, trained, and
commissioned to provide one-to-one lay caring ministry to people in crisis or with other needs for care.
 
Another way of describing a Stephen Minister is that they are "Christian Therapists".
 
You can read more about the Stephen Ministry at THIS WEBSITE.
 
The reason that I picked this word as the word for today, is because I was selected to be a Stephen Minister for my church back at the beginning of the Summer. I have been going through the training for two months now and I am loving every part of it! I truly believe that God has called me to this ministry. I still have another month's worth of training to go and then I will become an official Stephen Minister.
 
I have already learned SO MUCH through out my training! I believe that this training will not only help me in my ministry, but also in my every day life.
 
Here is a list of some of the things that I have learned so far ---
 
- How to recognize "feelings" in myself and in others.
- How to be a better "listener".
- How to better use my Bible as a resource to help those in need of care.
- How to use "process oriented" caring, instead of "results oriented" caring.
- How to be an "assertive Christian".
- How to maintain boundaries.
- How important confidentiality is.
 
I feel so blessed (and honored!) to have been one of the few "chosen" ones. My prayer is that when the time comes for me to be assigned to care for someone, that I will be a blessing to that person and can truly help them through their crisis.
 
Lord, thank you for giving me this opportunity! I love you!
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a special blessing. I know you will be very discerning and caring in this Ministry. God will walk with you all the way. Just always serve Him and you cannot go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I DO feel very blessed :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...