This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Daddy

Today would have been my Daddy's 81st Birthday. I miss him so very much! He died, way to young, at the age of 53 of a heart attack. I was only 18.

I was a Daddy's Girl and not a day went by without him telling me..... "I love you."  They weren't just words with him, either. He meant it. I KNEW that I was loved! He always called me his "Little Sweetheart".


During football season is when I think about him the most. I have many memories of us watching the Atlanta Falcon's play on TV together. I believe this picture was taken as we watched a game together in 1972. I was eight. --


Another memory I have of my Daddy is helping him clean the pool on Saturday mornings. My job was to put the chemicals into the little tubes to test the pool water and then shake them to see what color the water turned. I thought that was so much fun!

My Daddy is the one that taught me how to swim, too. I was always afraid of the drain in the deep end. When I jumped off the diving board, I would always jump to one of the sides and never OVER the drain! It might suck me up!! One time, after I learned how to swim, he took me by the hand and swam with me to the drain and made me touch it to prove that it wouldn't suck me up! This was all it took to get me over my fear.


I used to love to watch him work on our cars. He was a very good mechanic and loved "tinkering" with them. He wasn't a mechanic by trade. He just enjoyed it.

I have many, many other memories of my Daddy. I could go on and on about them.

I can't help but wonder what my life would have been like if he hadn't died so young. The thing I hate the most is that he didn't get to see me grow up, get married and have a family. I hurts that my girls never knew him. They would have LOVED him!! He would have been the BEST Granddaddy EVER!!

It makes me sad that he is no longer here, but I know that he was sick and the only way that God could heal him was to take him home.

My hope is that my Daddy is waiting for me up in Heaven and I can't wait to get there to see him again!!

Happy Birthday, Daddy! I miss you and I love you!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memmories! I miss my daddy too and also think about him during football games. We used to watch together. I know the sorrow of wishing they could see your kids. These are such precious pictures..... Linda Kunze

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...