This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Fruit of the Spirit

Original date written -- 3/29/10

I won't write about "why" I chose to write about this topic. God knows why, and that is all that matters. I got the definitions below from my Believer's Bible Commentary, by William MacDonald. I go to it often for help in understanding verses.


Galatians 5:22-23 --- "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things! (NLT)

Love is what God is, and what we ought to be.

Joy is contentment and satisfaction with God and His dealings.

Peace could include the peace of God as well as harmonious relations among Christians.

Longsuffering is patience in afflictions, annoyances, and persecutions.

Kindness is gentleness, perhaps best explained in the attitude of the Lord toward little children.

Goodness is kindness shown to others.

Faithfulness may mean trust in God, confidence in our fellow Christians, fidelity, or reliability.

Gentleness is taking the lowly place as Jesus did when He washed His disciples' feet.

Self-control means literally holding oneself in, especially regarding sex. Our lives should be disciplined. Lust, passions, appetites, and temper should be ruled. We should practice moderation

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...