This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Thursday, December 23, 2010

"These are a few of my favorite things"

You know the song... "My Favorite Things"... from The Sound of Music?? For some reason, that song comes into my mind when I look at my favorite Christmas decorations.

Here are the lyrics ---

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad

Are you singing it in your head now??   I am!! **Smile**

Anyway.... Here are a few of MY favorite things ~

This is the Manger Scene that was displayed at my house as a child. It is VERY special to me. I am not sure where my mother got the figures. The donkey and lamb are plastic and the other pieces are some sort of plaster. I can still remember "playing" with the figures. When I got married, my mom gave it to me. My kids weren't not allowed to touch it!! Hahaaa! I did buy another one for my kids later, when Miranda was little. It's made FOR kids! I'm saving it for my grandchildren, so they won't touch this one!! My daddy made the stable.


Anyone recognize this??? It's a small version of the Leg Lamp in the movie "A Christmas Story". My family LOVES this movie!! (Well, Miranda doesn't... but, that doesn't matter! She HAS to be different!)
My brother-n-law loves to send us crazy gifts, like this one, from this movie and also from the movie, "Christmas Vacation". Too funny!! We never know what we are going to get in the mail each year!


I love this snowman. He is so cute and cuddly!
The flowers are from David's father's memorial service. He passed away right before Christmas, about 8 years ago. I kept this decoration and use it every year. The cross is something that I keep out all year long. I love it!


Isn't this Santa & Rudolph cute??
One of the teachers that I used to work with, gave this to me as a gift one year.


This cute snowman was a gift from a student, several years ago. I think he is beautiful and so unusual!


THIS was a VERY special gift to us from my mother-n-law. Last year, she visited The Holy Land. (Lucky lady!!) This came from THE actual town (city) of Bethlehem!!!! I can't remember for sure what wood it is carved out of, but I "think" it is from the olive tree. Isn't it beautiful?? This is normally displayed on my mantle, all year long. I just can't put it away.


This was a gift from my friend Cindy, last year. I just love the art from Jim Shore! This is actually an ornament, but I think it is too beautiful to be hidden on my tree, so I set it out.


This was made by my Miranda sometime when she was little. I'm sure that it was made at church.
Can you tell what it is??? -- It's Baby Jesus, laying in his manger. **Smile**
It really looks kinda' like a finger wrapped in burlap!! Haaaha!
I love it so very much, tho!!


This is Santa Mouse. He is an ornament from my childhood. I have a book (somewhere in my attic, that I can't find!!!) about him. He is Santa's helper. He brings little gifts, wrapped in white paper with a gold ribbon, and leaves them on a branch, on the tree. Every Christmas, Santa Mouse would leave a gift for me and my children have grown up getting gifts from Santa Mouse, as well. --- They still do!!!


This ornament is special because it was bought when we had our first Golden Retriever. His name was Archie. He passed away suddenly, 8 years ago, of kidney failure. We call this our "Archie Ornament".
(I guess I need to find ornaments for Jackson & Chester, as well!)


Thank you for letting me share some of "my favorite things" with you! What are some of your favorite Christmas things??


7 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember the song! Your favorite Christmas things are really great. I'm glad to have kept some things from my childhood and from my son's childhood. You don't think of it at the time, but now I wonder how it came about that I kept some of the things I did keep! The leg lamp is really neat! We watch that movie a couple of times every year! Love it! Merry Christmas Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I've kept many things for my girls from their childhood, too. Hope they appreciate it! :) Merry Christmas to you, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that song and now of course it is stuck in my head

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haahaa! Sorry, Becca! :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a very merry, blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky. I can see that some of your favourite things are very special to you, and I can quite see why. That little baby Jesus made by Miranda is so cute. You'll never be able to throw that one away! That ornament is a lovely way to remember Archie. That must have been very sad for you. I loved that gift from your friend, Cindy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to you as well, Arby!! I hope it was wonderful!

    This ~ Thank you for your comments. I pray that you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...