This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Philadelphia - Staying at Mom's House

Congratulations to Becca of Everyday Life for guessing the correct answer!! We will be staying at David's mother's house. This is also the same house that he grew up in! His mom has lived in this same house for over 50 years!

David's parents divorced when David was about 18 years old. His father moved to Georgia. (That's how he and I met! **Smile**) Unfortunately, he is no longer with us. He developed Cancer and passed away about 10 years ago.

Philadelphia is known for it's "Row Homes". Many look like these...

Photo Source
Photo Source

The homes are "stuck" together, one right next to the other. If you have to go around to the back of your house, from the front... you have to walk around the whole block to get there!

It's funny.... when I first met David, I had never been up north and had no idea what a "row home" was! I can still remember him pointing them out to me, the first time he took me to Philadelphia. They looked like huge apartment buildings to me! (That's what I grew up living in - apartments!)

David's mother grew up living in a row home a lot like the first picture above. The homes were each exactly alike!

The home that his mother now lives in is -- I "think" -- still considered a row home, but it is more like a "duplex". There are only TWO homes "stuck" together. There is a yard (a tiny one!) in between each two houses, like these....


 Photo Source
David's mother's home looks a LOT like this one! She has a bigger porch on the front, tho. There is an "alley" in the back and her driveway and garage are pack there. In Georgia... these would be called "duplexes" or "townhomes".

I look foward to taking pictures of her home while we are up there so that I can show you. (Hope she doesn't mind!)

Later today... check back for a new clue & hint for Day Two of our trip to Philadelphia!

7 comments:

  1. We call those blocks of houses, terrace houses over here. They have little back yards (that is a concrete yard, not garden!) and usually there is a back entrance with a little lane at the back. Hope you're enjoying the summer over there my friend, in that lovely pool of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, This! Your description sounds just like his mom's house!! That's funny! ~ Yes. I am enjoying my summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember seeing row houses when i was younger

    Everyday Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate to the "row Houses". when I first saw them, I just didn't get it. How can that be a "house" when it is connected to a bunch of other buildings? It still feels more like duplexes/apartments to me whenever I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diann ~ Haha! I agree! Growing up in apartments, that was my reaction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a fabulous blog! I want to award you with one of my homemade awards: Inspiring Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Deidra! That is very nice of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...