This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Just Listen

I have a friend that is going through a very rough time right now and I, as their friend, am having a hard time knowing what to say. It's hard for me to see my friend hurting and to hear their sad words.


I have learned through my training as a Stephen Minister, that all I can really do is listen to someone that is hurting. As much as I want to fix the problem for my friend, or give them advice, I could do them more harm by doing this.

But still.... this is MY friend and it breaks my heart to see them hurting and I want to FIX everything so that they can be happy again!! 

I almost feel guilty for being happy in my own life. But, I also know that I can not let myself "wallow" in my friend's unhappiness. I can not let them bring me down. I also know that my friend would never willingly do that to me.  

So, I will continue to listen to my friend and be as supportive as I can. I will also pray to God for peace and happiness for my friend, and for them to make "wise choices" during this difficult time. That's about all I can do.

10 comments:

  1. Listening is a great quality to have. I know you have it just by your kind words of wisdom that you've offered me over many months of reading my sometimes babbling. I have plenty of faith for you! Your a great friend to all who enter your life... PS: Can't wait for your Febuary decor unveil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that your friend is having these problems right now, Becky. It is hard when you want to make everything better for her, BUT (and you know this anyway) you are doing exactly the right thing by just listening to her and being there for her. As you say, it would be terrible if you unwittingly said the wrong thing. You are such a caring person, and I know how grateful she will be to have you there to support her. I'm like you sometimes, I am very content with my life, and you hear so many things happening in other people's lives that are not good at all, and you really feel guilty sometimes. Sending you (((hugs))) dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening and being there for a friend is huge! Makes such a difference for someone to know they are not alone and that someone cares! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather ~ Thank you so very much for your support! You are such a SWEETIE!! ~ PS: I started working on my February decor today! Haha!! The unveiling will be soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This ~~ Thank you so very much for the hug and the support. You are such a dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda ~~ I appreciate your kind words and the hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you and your friend are in my prayers hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becca ~ Thank you so very much for the prayers... for BOTH of us! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes listening is the best thing one can do.
    I remember a time a person I went to school lost his daughter in a car accident, that he was driving. We would talk often and after several months, he came to me and thanked me for listening, others just tried to pretend nothing had happened and he needed to talk. Silence is golden and should be practiced more often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gramma ~ I appreciate your words so very much. That is exactly what I need to do! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...