This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Monday, January 24, 2011

A Glimpse Into the Future

As my girls are getting older and they BOTH have boyfriends now, I am beginning to see what life is going to be like in the future for our little family. Our little family of FOUR  will someday grow to SIX!

Yesterday, I got a glimpse of what that will be like. Both of the boyfriends came over to watch football, hang out and to eat dinner with us. I love seeing my girls happy and the feeling of us all enjoying a day together.

Growing up as an only child, I always wished that I had brothers and sisters. Then, as I got older, that dreamed changed and my thoughts changed to thinking about getting married. It was then that I began to think that I was NOT going to have just one child! No sir! MY CHILD would have a sibling, no matter what!!!

I used to think that I wanted FOUR children, then that would insure me that I would have a big family! Then, after I got a little older, well..... that thought changed and I decided that THREE children would be the perfect number!

David and I married in 1985. Then, two years later.... God gave us our precious, Ashley. Our plan was to have another baby in three years. But, when that time came... we weren't ready! So, we waited another year and.... God gave us our precious, Miranda.

Not long after Miranda was born, our minds changed about having that "third" child! Two was plenty!! LOL!! We would be the perfect little family of FOUR. So, that is how it has been for 19 + years.

Now, of course, David and I are getting older and so are our girls. We can feel the next chapter of our lives approaching. The chapter where our girls meet someone, fall in love, get married and move out of the house. This is an exciting feeling, but also a tearful one at the same time.

Yesterday, we spent the day together.... all SIX of us. It was a nice feeling.

My mind kept thinking about the past and the future. We are still a family of FOUR at the moment, but will become a family of SIX before too long. Then..... what will our number be???? EIGHT?? TEN?? FOURTEEN??? 



WOW!! I can't wait!!

11 comments:

  1. It is exciting! Hard to have that empty nest when it comes, but then you have grown happy children. I'm so excited that I'm about to have my first grandchild....then we will be six...only one of my daughters is married. Enjoy these days! I know you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always wanted a big family but life had other plans and i was lucky in that i was blessed with one perfect miracle. you have a beautiful family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda ~ Yes. I have heard from my friends who have grown children that "empty nesting" is a bitter-sweet time. I am anxious to see what God has planned for our family, but I also don't want things to change :)

    Becca ~ Thank you! And...Yes, you are VERY blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky - I too was an only child (am an only child!) and always longed to have a sister. My husband is also an only child and for quite a while, I used to think what a small family we had, especially when we were all sitting down for Christmas Lunch. But how things change! As I mentioned before, there were eleven of us sitting down to Christmas lunch this year. Myself and husband, older daughter, husband and daughter, and my younger daughter with her partner, his two sons, and our two little grandchildren! It is amazing really, and pretty wonderful at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi and thanks for visiting with me. Yes, us onlies have some unique ideas....I too wanted a large family, but had only 2 children. We are now 6 and I am sure not done growing! I hope you visit again soon and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes, I read this and thought, please do not wish your life away. As an 'empty nester' myself I know only too well the joy and pain it brings. Enjoy each stage of your childrens growing up, it happens far too quickly as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindy ~ Thank you for your thoughts. I honestly try not to "hurry" life along, as I know all too well that it goes by WAY too fast! I was just telling my girls yesterday that I wish that I could go back and "visit" those days when they were little!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ceekay ~ Thank you for visiting my blog, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This ~ I can't remember if I knew that you were an "only" or not!! But, I am happy to hear that you are, because it gives us something else to talk about! :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Becky-a great story! I grew up with a sister and brother and know those who would have loved a sibling or two. And I can say that, even tho we didn't always get along, as we got older, we still had our PJs (private jokes). It made us closer as we got older. My brother passed away almost 4 years ago-not long. And we miss him terribly, even tho we all lived miles apart. So, keep your dream-it will come true and "kudos" to you for having the second child-no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Susan! I appreciate your sweet words and thoughts, very much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...