This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Monday, October 25, 2010

I Miss Halloween

I know that Halloween is still around, but it's just not the same any more now that my girls are in college and no longer "little". I miss it!

I even miss being a kid and teen myself at this time of year. It was so much fun!

When I think of Halloween, I think of -----

Trick-or-Treating - When our family lived in Atlanta, Hubby and I would take turns taking the girls Trick-or-Treating around the neighborhood while the other one stayed home and gave out the candy. I always wanted to be the one that went with our girls because I didn't want to miss out on their fun! We lived in a fairly large neighborhood that was FULL of kids! The houses were close together and we knew a lot the people in the neighborhood -- unlike where we live now! Kids were EVERYWHERE on Halloween night, all dressed up in their cute little costumes.

When we moved south, out of Atlanta, our girls were 6 & 10. They were both still VERY MUCH into Trick-or-Treating! Unfortunately, our new neighborhood was not very conducive to this favorite Halloween activity. The houses in our neighborhood are spread apart by 2-3 acre home lots, making Trick-or-Treating not so easy! We had to rely on friends that lived in more populated neighborhoods, which worked out fine.

My girls continued to Trick-or-Treat on thru their High School years. "Weren't they a bit too old?"... You say?  No. They got around it by participating in our church youth group's "Trick-or-Treating For Can Goods" fundraiser. They would take donations of can goods and give them to our local homeless shelter, and if they happened to get some candy along the way... all the more fun! They still got to dress up, which they loved! They both came up with some wonderful costumes throughout the years, all on their own! Here a few examples ---

Dtr. #2 as Peter Pan (right) and friends - Wendy & Peter Pan's Shadow

Dtr. #2 as Judy Jetson & friend as Rosie

Friend as Wilma Flintstone & Dtr. #2 as Betty Rubble

Dtr. #1 as Snow White -- (She worked for Party City at the time and had to where one of their costumes!)

Dtr. #2 as "Something Scary" and Dtr. #1 as Tigger

I'll write more later and add to my list of "Halloween Favorites".

4 comments:

  1. Hi Becky, loved all of your Halloween pics...I don't have too many. I think when we were kids we were too excited to give mom the chance to take any. Just out the door! I'm with you, I miss it. But we are on a street that gets scads of trick or treaters. We'll get from 5 to 15 on our porch at one time, and it's hard to take any pictures of them. I say I'm going to do it every year, but I can't seem to control them on the porch. By the way, how did you get your email address on your blog? I can't seem to figure it out. And I placed a tribute to you on my sidebar the other day. Of course, my favorite is witches-I hope you're feeling better too and that you had a great camping weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan! I love it! ~ Camping was great! Thank you for thinking of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be one of the most awesome ideas I have ever heard of - the cans trick or treating - I will definitely be bringing this up next year. How great!

    The costumes are insanely adorable - my fav' is Judy Jetson with Rosie. Great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...