This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Friends

Yes... I am writing about the subject of "Friends" again. This Summer, it has been on my mind a LOT.

I can remember, as a child.... and even as a teenager!.... when my friends would get mad at me for some "unknown" reason and would not speak to me for a period of time. We would eventually resolve the problem and move on, but in the meantime... my feelings were hurt.

For some unknown reason, this Summer has been like that and I have been going through those same emotions, all over again. I do not understand it and do not know what I have done to cause it. David and I have been racking our brains to try and figure out what could have happened, but we keep drawing a complete "blank".

You are probably thinking... "Why don't you just TALK to your friends and find out why they are treating you this way?" Part of me DOES want to do that, but part of me is saying that I don't NEED friends that are going to treat me that way and that I should just move on and forget about it.

 Over the past month, I have been able to put it out of my mind because I started my new job. which has alowed me to put the friendship thing aside and focus on something new. (A nice change!)

Things are starting to calm down at work, now that we have been back in school for a few weeks... so, now the "friendship" issue is beginning to creep back into my brain! UGH!

This morning, a little song came to my mind about friendship. I remember it from when Miranda was in Girl Scouts, but I kinda' remember it from when I was a Girl Scout, as well. These are the words that popped into my brain this morning....

Make new friends but keep the old,
One is silver and the other gold.

It got me to thinking that I need to concentrate on making "new" friends, but I also need to remember my "old" friends (not "age" wise... LOL!!).

My "old" friends are GOOD FRIENDS. They have been my friends for YEARS! They have never hurt me in any way. They don't live in my town, but they aren't so far away that I can't see them once a month, or so. I am seeing one of them on Saturday and I am SO EXCITED!!

With my new job... I can already see a couple of potential "new" friends, which I am glad of! I just need to make sure that I am "working" on those potential friendships and not letting them slip away. I went to lunch with one of those "new" friends last week. We have a lot in common, which is nice.

Today, I am having lunch with a friend that I haven't seen in a while. We haven't known each other very long, (maybe a year) but I really enjoy her friendship and would like to see our friendship "grow".

In order to "grow" a friendship... I believe that you have to "work it", just like a garden. You can't just plant the "seed" and then sit back and not tend to it. Otherwise, it will wither and die.

What about you??

What are your friendship experiences??

Any advice for someone that is struggling with friendships??


Photo source





5 comments:

  1. Brilliant post about friendship today, Becky. I agree, that we have to nurture our friendships. It's nice that you have met someone that you think you will get on really well with. I have been in the same position as you, where 'friends' have treated me really badly and, yes, hurt me, so I do know where you are coming from. I wonder if it's anything to do with being an only child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes lapses in friendships are caused by a misunderstanding that one side is unaware of. Maybe you could contact her in some way, tell her you have missed her and see if she responds. If she doesn't respond then your conscience will be clear and you can move on. Life is too short to worry about things you cannot change. Hope my advice helps. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that you know what to do, I think that you are aware that communication is the key and in the end if you can't solve the problem you have to move on. I wish you wisdom to solve the issue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This -- I don't know if it has to do with being an only child or not, but I do know... that I get very lonely sometimes and really "need" friends to talk to. It hurts a lot when you "think" someone is that special friend that you can talk to and then they let you down. :(

    Hi Shannon -- Thank you for your commment. I DO want to talk to this friend, the right moment just hasn't come about just yet. Unfortunately, she isn't the kind of friend that I can just "call up" and talk to very easily.

    Claudia -- Yes! Wisdom is what I need! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tricky thing is that you may be experiencing the perfect storm. Each friendship may be experiencing a simultaneous lull for a different reason(s). You may have angered a friend. That friend might also be experiencing difficulty in his or her life that has distracted them from contacting you. Calling them might be the best thing that you can do for them. You might try to prioritize these friendships in order of which one is the most important to you, and begin by contacting that person. Work your way down the list over time. See where it goes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...