This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tryin' to Catch the Coupon Bug

Have any of you seen the show Extreme-Couponing on the cable channel, TLC??



Well, this show intrigues me so very much! I have never been a big "coupon-er", but with the rising cost of just about EVERYTHING... I am seeking ways to save money.

The people that are featured on this show are like the title says... "extreme"! They have the art of "couponing" down to a science, and are apparently able to buy hundreds of dollars worth of groceries and walk out of the store, only paying a few dollars!!

From what I gather... these thrifty shoppers collect coupons from any and every resource that they can. They then organize them in binders such as this ---


Most of the people that are featured on the show have storage rooms where they stock-pile their purchases for future use. Many share their items with other family members or friends. Others donate a lot of their "extra" items.


As for me.... I just want to save money!!

Yesterday, I decided that I would give this "couponing thing" a try. Just so you know... I have no skills or prior knowledge of "how" the couponing system works. I was just "winging it"! **Smile**

I went through our local newspaper and cut out all the coupons that interested me. I then went to a coupon website that a friend had told me about -- Couponmom.com. From this site, I printed out a few others that I would use.

I also went to the Publix website and looked at their current sales ad so that I could see what the Buy-one / Get-one (BOGO) items were. I also looked at the sales ads for a couple of the drug stores in my area.

From the coupons that I had, and from the BOGO items... I made my grocery list.

I went to FOUR different stores in order to purchase my items, but they were all pretty close together, so wasting gas was not really an issue.

Here's where I went and how much I saved!!

Walgreen's -- I spent $2.15 and saved $9.49
  - Here, I had a BOGO coupon and the items that I wanted to purchase were BOGO in the store!

Walmart ----- I spent $35.47 and saved $3.60
  - Here, I used 3 coupons that were $1.00 off and one for .60

CVS --------- I spent $13.27 and saved $13.36
  - Here, I used 1 coupon for $1.00 off and I saved on the other items by using my CVS Customer Card. I also got $3.00 in "extra bucks" that I can use when I go again!

Publix ------- I spent $22.07 and saved $28.14
  - Here, most of the items that I bought were BOGO items. I only bought one of each, which meant that I only paid half the price for the one item! I also used one or two small coupons, and I had a coupon for a FREE carton of Publix ice cream!!

TOTAL Spent -- $72.96
TOTAL Saved -- $54.59!!!!!

This coming Sunday, my church is sponsoring a class on "couponing". I am excited about it and hope to learn more about this money-saving hobby! I'll have to keep you updated on what I learn!

3 comments:

  1. WoW! That's amazing just how much you saved on your first try! Well done you my friend. I can see that this could really get addictive! You're right though, everyone seems to be struggling at the moment, so perhaps it's something that a lot more of us should try. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you did better then me i always use coupons and i love seeing that little savings at the bottom of the receipt

    Everyday Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Germany the couponing is not so trendy, but I'm amazed how developed it is in USA!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...