This blog is basically just a collection of my "random thoughts". I must warn you, though. I have been told that "I write like I talk", so if you don't understand what you are reading... chances are, if you met me... I wouldn't make much sense to you! Feel free to comment if you care to. Or not. I'm good either way!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sunday's Lesson

On Sunday mornings, I lead the College & Career Sunday School Class at my church. Each Sunday, I have to blast my brain with ideas on what to discuss in class.

Today's topic was ---

Is it possible to have a "best" friend??

Photo source -- Lucy & Ethel were Best Friends. So were Fred & Ricky.

I usually start out the lesson with a FUN activity. Today's "fun" activity was for my class members to guess which movie or TV show the characters that I named were from. The characters that I named play FRIENDS in the movie or TV show.

For example --- I named "Harry & Sally", and they called out "When Harry Met Sally". The one that I stumped them on the most was the easiest... "Thelma & Louise"! It was fun!

Some of my questions were --

"What qualities make for a best friend?"

"What can break up a friendship?"

"What can break up a friendship?"

"How can you make a friendship last?"

Some of their answers were....

A best friend is someone that:

- you can "vent" to and they will listen to you and offer you advice.
- shares the same moral values that you do.
- you have things in common with.
- is reliable.
- is trustworthy.
- you can be yourself with.
- is honest with you.

The bests ways to keep a friendship lasting are:

- to keep in touch.
- to make an effort.

We all agreed that it IS possible to have a BEST FRIEND.

The scripture references that I used were:

The friendship of David & Jonathan in 1 Samuel 18,19 & 20.

Other scripture references I used were...

Proverbs 18:24 -- There are "friends" who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.

Proverbs 17:17 -- A friend is always loyal.

Proverbs 25:19 -- Putting confidence in an unreliable person is like chewing with a toothache or walking on a broken foot.

Proverbs 27:10 -- Never abandon a friend.

John 15:13 -- The greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends.

My best friend lives about 2 hrs away, in Atlanta. I don't get to see her as often as I would like to. I miss her very much! She has all the qualities (above) that make for a best friend. In fact.... if you looked up the description of a best friend in the encyclopedia... I do believe that her picture will be on the page!

Speaking of "picture"... I need a picture of my best friend and I together!  Hmmm.......

I have learned, over time, that having a best friend is very important to me. I have also learned... the hard way!... how friends can hurt one another. Usually it is unintentional, but it still hurts.

I want long for the kind of friendship that Oprah has with her best friend, Gayle King. They have been best friends for a very long time and are... to me... the best example of "Best Friends" that there is.


What about you??

Are there any other qualities that we may have missed that a best friend should have?

Do you have a best friend??

What keeps your friendship going strong??

6 comments:

  1. A very good theme Becky! My best friend is also far away, 1300km, we know each other since we were both 14 (we are born on the same day, same month, same year - I am only 3 hours older LOL) and we understand each other without talkink much. It is hard without her but friendship does survive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Becky I cannot use Oprah as an example for anything. She is a woman God has blessed with much. She has given much but she has twisted the true Gospel in such a perverted manner that I cannot tolerate anything about her.
    It is truly possible to have a best friend though, made even better when the friendship is built on a Godly relationship:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky. We've both been blog slackers. I just typed up a post and will post it this evening. I've been having problems posting on peoples blogs lately. I’m not sure what the deal is. More importantly, I did a huge paragraph in my “to come” post about my best friend. She lives two hours away from me, as well. And we got the bad news this week that her husband’s possible job position was frozen until next year. I miss her terribly! But like those qualities mentioned, it takes effort, and lots of it!!! I’m scared that when Matt and I start to expand our family, they return the favor of traveling to us for at least the first year. We’ve always made the drive easy for them, now her children are 8 and 5, traveling should be easier for them. Your posts seem more uplifted lately, so all must be going well. I’m happy that you’ve gotten to enjoy some traveling/trips lately!!!! And your last table scape was gorgeous! I got a table runner and centerpiece, I’m looking for some cool dishes now. Sorry I’ve been “distant” I’ve just been a little MIA lately…. And I can't seem to figure out how to post a comment.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudia ~ How wonderful to have such a wonderful friend for such a long time! I know how hard it is to be so far away from your friend. I have failed to keep in touch with several of my friends from years past and I regret it.

    Gramma ~ I understand your thoughts about Oprah, but I do envy her friendship that she has with her friend, Gayle. It's something that I don't have and wish that I did.

    Hi Heather ~ Yes! I am a member of the "slacker club", too!! May was a very busy month and June seems to be, as well. I am doing better on the "blogging" part... but the reading and the commenting aren't like they used to be. I hope to do better this summer. Yes, I have realized that it DOES take great effort to make a friendship work. I have learned the hard way! -- Keep in touch when you can! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great theme to teach i have always wished i had a BF but sadly it's just me. great post sis

    Everyday Life

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...